Why you shouldn’t rely on google Translate

We are all guilty of using google Translate move than we should when it comes to translating foreign terms. However the more you become familiar with a language, the easier it is to spot the sometimes almost literal translation of terms. This is why we will always be better but it’s still good to have a helping hand.

Have you got any howlers resulting from google Translate phrases?

Have a great earth day

Comments

11 comments on “Why you shouldn’t rely on google Translate”
  1. huguetta says:

Very accurate and true! Thank you for sharing
    I actually experience this when I translate from Arabic or Spanish or else, and as the article is saying, it’s good if you want to have a rough idea about something but certainly not for translating important documents! And also it’s true that the translation to English is the most accurate

2. Betul Erbasi says:

Google Translate is not as good as it should be yet. I had issues with my German assignments when I was using it, because the German instructor kept correcting the translations:)

1. There are many jokes around about student using google translate to do there homework and the teacher knowing instantly as it simply doesn’t make any sense what they have handed in.

1. Betul Erbasi says:

Yeah, I tried to make somme corrections myself but still did not work:)

1. its interesting to play around with the wording of phrases sometimes to see what google comes out with. Ive done that before just because i was bored.

1. Betul Erbasi says:

Yeah that could be interesting!

3. efge63 says:

I agree that is a great help for translate … but you must know something about the language you want to translate… otherwise you write silly things lol!!

1. Oh yes you gotta use some common sense.

4. calmkate says:

Mr G is wondrous for much information but I’ve found his translation somewhat wanting! Have a Polish WP friend and Mr G botches it up badly 😦

1. I’ve never tried polish before but I do occasionally ask it for French, Spanish and Russian and that seems ok for me. As long as it’s not too complicated a phrase.

1. calmkate says:

well she claims he is not accurate but she may be pedantic … no idea