Lawrence Durrell

I have already written about the Durrell’s TV series featuring Lawrence and his family mother Louisa, brother Gerald, sister Margo, and brother Leslie here.

Since Lawrence was a prolific writer through out his life I thought he desired a post all of his own. His personal website is here Lawrence Durrell.

I have read parts of Bitter Lemons of Cyprus and I just love the peek into the world of yesterday. The language he uses is phenomenal. Yes some of the terms are now dated and obscure but if you ever needed an education in the English language you couldn’t go wrong by borrowing a few of his terms. You may sound archaic but there is always a time and a place for formal English.

Lawrence lived and worked all over the world during his life so he wrote about the lives and environment of where ever he happened to be with great authenticity. He spoke Greek which greatly assisted with his integration as there were no learning resources in those days and the locals most certainly would not have known English.

His works of which I have some start with Prospero’s Cell which is an account of his life in Corfu. It also includes more well known work such as the Alexandria Quartet based in Alexandria Egypt which links in with C F Cavafy as they knew each other. He even features him in some of his work.

The Avignon quartet is written in the same manner about his travels in France. We are now coming to the works that I know little about having just read about them for the purposes of this post but I will eventually get around to reading them.

His continued employment with the British Foreign Service meant that a posting to Rhodes enabled him to write Reflections on a Marine Venus.

Another assignment to Belgrade allowed him to publish The White Eagles over Serbia.

A bit further along in time he makes a Sicilician Carousel about the aforementioned island. He also comes up with the Greek islands.

So it’s a real journey around the Mediterranean from the birds eye view of an English subject. This was before everyone was required to learn English for business purposes and the days of widespread tourism. So you get to see what the culture was like before the traditional values got watered down with western values.

For more details about his personal life you can read his Wikipedia article Lawrence Durrell.

This is a new series I have started on writers who have an interest or have written about Greece.

Virginia Woolf

Henry Miller

Lord Byron

Eva Palmer-Sikelianos

Other series include Greek Poets, Authors, Musicians, Famous Greeks and Rural Villages in Lefkás. All the links can be found here Series links.

Have you ever wanted to live in an previous era to see what life was really like then?

Best wishes

Comments

14 comments on “Lawrence Durrell”
  1. calmkate says:

My goodness I had NO idea, as a Gerald Durrell fan I’ve tried to read most of his books but had no idea Lawrence had been so productive … Bats in the Belfry is a favourite 🙂

1. It’s amazing what one can find out these days with a little research. I’ve not seen that one so I will have to see if I can locate it. Thanks for reading the article and appreciating the author enough to write a response to it.

1. calmkate says:

I feel like I know the Durrell family and they all loved Greece 🙂

1. I’m not sure you can say that until you have read all of there work but yes I get the feeling they did as they put up with the fact they didn’t have electricity at least according to the show.

1. calmkate says:

Gerald documents it in his books, so I am saying that from his side 🙂

2. Ok cool I shall have to get some of those too.

3. calmkate says:

his earlier books were gifted, his later books didn’t flow as well but they are all well worth reading!

4. Thankyou for the book review. I shall really have to buy one now.

5. calmkate says:

you will be very glad 🙂

6. I’m sure I will be an doubt there will be a review when I’m done.

7. calmkate says:

ok finally did some research … Gerald wrote a Corfu Trilogy
            My Family and Other Animals
            Birds, Beasts and Relatives
            The Garden of Gods
            One of my favourites of his is Beasts in my Belfry but this was not set in Corfu like the 3 above … enjoy Athena 🙂

8. I know he wrote the Corfu trilogy as that’s promoted a lot in the uk as a companion novel to the tv series. I also knew he did my family and other animals as I’ve seen that in one of my local book stores. I read a book that draws from Gerald, Lawrence and Margo as well as the tv series. It adds in bits like what really happened too as opposed to what they said happened in their books.
            I don’t think I’ve seen garden of God’s though.

9. calmkate says:

they seem to be available online

10. I shall have to investigate as I no longer have a kindle.