Virginia Woolf

She was a well known society lady who was well connected and widely read. She also wrote many books. She fought for the right of ladies to study Greek as previously this was a subject that only men were able to study. It was thought not right that women should be so educated as they wouldn’t know there proper place in the world. A very patriarchal attitude that was extraordinarily prevalent in the Victorian era.

Victoria Woolf was flamboyant in the way that only the landed gentry could be in those days. She also indulged in various sexual aspects which may be why she was interested in Sappho. She was said to be a lesbian also but who knows. She did come from the island of Lesbos (sometimes now known as mytliene) though and she apparently died on the island of Lefkáda hence there is a place called Sappho’s leap here.

Here is her Wikipedia article for the background details of her life. Virginia Woolf.

• This is a new series I have started on writers who have an interest or have written about Greece.

Lawrence Durrell

Virginia Woolf

Henry Miller

Lord Byron

Eva Palmer-Sikelianos

Other series include Greek Poets, Authors, Musicians, Famous Greeks, Rural Villages in Lefkás and Foreigners who have become interested and or benefited Greece in some ways. All the links can be found here Series links.

Are there are any similarly notorious characters in your culture that you can think of?

Best wishes

Comments

14 comments on “Virginia Woolf”
  1. a e i o u ! says:

Your writings about Greek culture are quite informative ! 🙂

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you. I’m glad you appreciate the effort I put into my blog.

2. I remember reading her as a part of my syllabi in masters.came to remeber it again

1. I had friends who liked her but I’m yet to see the beauty of her work.

3. Daedalus Lex says:

Virginia Woolf is one of the greats in English lit, but I find all of her works are not equally good. “To the Lighthouse” I think is her best, and one of the 5 best books in the language. It beautifully captures all the intersubjective and psychological undercurrents moving through the characters. And she is very subtle on how all characters, male and female, are trapped by gender norms. Note that in England there’s a long list of educated, intellectual women fighting for equality, going back to Mary Wollstonecraft in the 18th and Mary Astell in the 17th centuries at least. Enjoying your blog! Gary, aka Daedalus Lex.

Liked by 4 people

1. Thankyou for the book reviews. Have you got any more ideas for who I should write about next?

1. Daedalus Lex says:

Hmm. For something with a Greek setting, Shakespeare’s “Midsummer Night’s Dream” or the lesser-known “When Sirens Call” by English-Australian, Paul David Adkin. For just great novels in English, maybe Toni Morrison’s Song of Solomon (US) or something by Dickens or Austen (UK). For quirky, Richard Brautigan’s “In Watermelon Sugar.” Or if desperate, you could take a look at my latest novel, “Hippies” 🙂

2. Daedalus Lex says:

Hmm. For a Greek setting, Shakespeare’s “Midsummer Night’s Dream” or the lesser-known “When Sirens Call” by Anglo-Aussie, Paul David Adkin. For general milestone works, maybe Toni Morrison’s “Song of Solomon” (US) or something by Dickens or Austen (UK). For quirky, try Richard Brautigan’s “In Watermelon Sugar.” If desperate, you can go for my latest novel, “Hippies” 🙂 Gary, aka Daedalus Lex

1. I’ve never read a Mid Summer Nights Dream but I have extensively studied Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth. I will have to look into a Siren’s Call. I’ve not so far got into Dickens but I’ve never studied him. I have been to the museum in Broadstairs and walked around the areas his books were set in though. I have read Austen and I thought Pride and Prejudice was brilliant but Jane Eyre was just too depressing. Ive never heard of Toni Morrison so yet another to look out for. Same for Richard Brautigan. Sure I could read your novel too if you drop me a link as to where it is.

1. Daedalus Lex says:

Thanks, Athena! Here’s my website: http://www.garygautier.com/ Just click the book cover for Hippies (or any other book) to open the Amazon sale page. Hard copy and Kindle copy are both reasonably priced, but Kindle copy certainly priced to cause no pain 🙂 Email me if you prefer a pdf: drggautier@gmail.com (You should try “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” It’s the one that convinced me Shakespeare’s true genius was for comedy, though he’s not bad at tragedy or history either 🙂 )

2. Thank you I’ll be sure to have at look.

4. efge63 says:

Nice post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. officialaarish says:

Thanks for the article. I heard somewhere “Virginia Woolf was the Beyonce of her time” , inspirational woman.