Gerald Durrell English Zoologist 1925-1995

I came across this passage in a book I received as a school prize and I’ve only just rediscovered it.

As you can see Gerry is well written like his older brother Lawrence Durrell. They were life long friends even though you may not get that idea from the TV show The Durells. Because of his prowess with animals and the profound effect he has had on the world of conservation, he was awarded an OBE (order of the British empire). He founded DICE which is the Durrell institute of conservation and ecology.

Gerry has written many books but I haven’t been able to get hold of any so far. The above passage is from My Family and other animals which is slightly autobiographical. 2 of his other books that form the Corfu trilogy are also autobiographical in nature. Birds, beasts and relatives along with the Garden of the Gods.

I have been recommended to read him especially Bats in the Belfry, based on comments that have been left when I wrote about the articles I mentioned earlier. So when I get the opportunity to I will indulge. I think Amazon is going to be my best bet here. It’s how I acquired most of my Lawrence Durrell books so far.

Theodore Stephanides (wiki link for personal details) who is Gerry’s friend, tutor and fellow botanist also played a big part in his life. He features in Lawrence’s Prospero’s Cell and Henry Miller‘s The Colossus of Maroussi. I have also written an article about Theodore Stephanides as he is the answer to another question that I was asked and at that time I couldn’t answer him.

It’s amazing how I start writing about one thing and I follow the trail that is made and it ends up becoming a rabbit hole with many offshoots in which one can become lost in. My posts are becoming an interconnected web of life in the 1920s and 30’s.

He is the Fifth part of the foreigners series who are interested in Greece:

1. Lawrence Durrell
  1. Virginia Woolf
  1. Henry Miller
  1. Lord Byron

Other series include Greek Poets, Painters, Authors, Musicians, Famous Greeks, and Rural Villages in Lefkás. All the links can be found here Series links.

Best wishes

Here are his specific personal details. Gerald Durrell

Best wishes

Comments

14 comments on “Gerald Durrell English Zoologist 1925-1995”
  1. Yernasia Quorelios says:

ON HAIKU

◇ TimeLines, Experience and Me, MySelf, I

Yesterday I was that way
    Today I am this way
    Tomorrow I will be another way

…◇◇◇…

2. benjaminlee says:

Excellent research! Keep it up.

1. Thank you very much. I will try to.

1. Thanks for the appreciation. I know it’s specialised what I write about but there is always someone who likes it.

1. benjaminlee says:

Agreed. You have a focus and it will serve you and others well.

2. Yes it will. I just have to let those that are interested find me.

3. benjaminlee says:

Just made a post about your blog

4. Thank you for the reblog. We all need to help each other here.

5. benjaminlee says:

You are welcome! Keep it going.

6. Stay tuned for more. I have a lot scheduled.

3. robinleeann says:

Great post! I definitely know more about Gerald and his interesting life now!

1. Thank you for reading. If your interested there are connected posts on his brother Lawrence, his tutor Theodoros Stephanides and the show there all in – The Durrells.