How to learn like a child as an adult

The best way to learn a language in my opinion is with the ease of a child. By that I mean don’t approach it head on. Don’t get bogged down with grammar, declension tables or memorising lists of vocabulary.

To effectively learn a language you need to engage your unconscious and sub conscious minds. This is where our creative powers reside and the majority of our brain power.

Communication is mostly done unconsciously. This is where body language comes in and Freudian slips of the tongue. This is challenging behaviour for a child to control but relatively simple for us unless we are under duress, in a new scenario.

A child will interact with his environment absorbing everything and gradually processing it into a shape that takes the form of words. However, before this children will express themselves in art. Even Picasso knew that the still resides an artist within every adult yet it has been obscured by becoming an adult.

Children have no innate sense of fear so this allows them to explore and practice language without worrying about the implications of what they are saying. This is how we get such phrases as “out of the moths of babes”. The honesty of children gets lost as we learn to say white lies, to sugar coat our words or simply to say the opposite of what we mean entirely out of politeness. This all builds up to prevent us from being able to communicate in a foreign language.

We are often reduced to the linguistic level of a child when it comes to second language acquisition and this frightens us. We are scared of the unpeeling of ourselves and the vulnerability that we now exhibit since we are no longer able to mask our true feelings.

In order to master our linguistic abilities we need to learn to appreciate ourselves for who we were, who we are now but also who we wish to become in the future. We can’t change if we don’t know that we need to in the first place.

Have you had to do any “unprogramming” of yourself to learn how to live a better, more authentic life for yourself?

Best wishes

Comments

35 comments on “How to learn like a child as an adult”
  1. maylynno says:

True and a child is not ashamed of making mistakes when speaking but adults are afraid of this

Liked by 2 people

1. I’m very afraid of this.

1. maylynno says:

To be honest, me too

1. Got any tips you use to overcome this issue?

1. maylynno says:

I don’t know.. I think we should just be brave enough like children.. that’s what I kept telling myself through years lol

2. I tried that too but I don’t think it’s an effective strategy.

3. maylynno says:

I totally understand that 🙈

2. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

Very interesting post!!

1. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

Becoming a child as an adult takes some pretty serious humbling. It’s something someone has to want to do!

1. True but being autistic means that part of me will forever be a child a bit like a real life Peter Pan.

1. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

I didn’t know that about you!

There’s a beauty and intelligence in autism that is really unique. The world might say it’s some kind of problem but it’s almost like a peculiar gift.

2. It’s a different way of thinking that’s for sure.

3. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

I find it interesting.

My name is John by the way. I thoroughly enjoy your blog!

4. Thank you very much. I’m glad someone out there appreciates what I write. As you probably gathered from the sign off I’m Angela.

5. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

It’s awesome to meet you Angela!

I enjoy stuff that makes me think. And inspires me.

6. I can definitely help you there. Nice to meet you too.

7. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

🙂

I also like to talk a lot and can be annoying..

8. Same. You wouldn’t happen to be autistic would you?

9. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

Never been diagnosed… so I don’t know. But I’ve always found autistic people interesting. Aside from what modern science and society say about them, they have an intelligence that surpasses what everyone deems “intelligent”. I hope that makes sense. Like, a guy I work with is low functioning autistic. But if you give him a guitar, he rocks it! He writes his own music and lyrics.

Also, I think because of the childlike abilities these people are able to see what others can’t. Because I think after a while “normal people” get it in their heads that they have to be and think a certain way. And it changes them.

Again, I hope all of this makes sense and isn’t offensive…

10. There is very little you can say to offend me so don’t worry about that too much. I’ve never known anyone to actually enjoy autism so your certainly one of a kind. Good for you embracing what you like.

11. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

It’s not that I like it, it’s just how I’ve heard about it through science and society. And then getting to know autistic people themselves.

I’m a deep thinker sort. And I try to understand things from putting myself in other people’s shoes.

And I hope I’m not aggravating you or freaking you out.

12. No you have to go a lot further to aggravate or freak me out. I’ve worked on not getting disturbed easily. If you can understand the world through other people’s eyes then you are not autistic as you have theory of mind as it’s called. Perhaps you have it in your family?

13. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

I probably do. Though I don’t know. I really don’t know much about my family.

I probably sound like a broken record but it’s interesting to get to know people. And I’m pretty intrigued by you.

14. People can be quite interesting but mostly there dull as there all the same. When you know one sheep you know the whole flock!

15. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

True to a point…. there are those who seem like the flock but are truly unique.

16. The flock is different in each field so you may find if you move to a new grazing ground you will find like minded breeds.

17. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

As different as I feel, I have managed to find a few here that I believe truly get me. But they’re a very minute few.

18. Such is life. There are few people like us but that’s just the way of things in my experience so far.

19. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

You seem lonely… or is it just me?

20. I had some injections yesterday so I’m feeling a bit under the weather which is to be expected.

21. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

I’m sorry to hear that! 😕

22. It’s ok. It’s much better than getting the diseases I was immunized against.

23. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

That’s great!

3. Ghybz says:

“Communication is mostly done unconsciously.” If this ain’t true though! I find that I have trouble expressing myself when I’m conscious of the words I’m about to say but when I just let it flow, it comes out naturally. So I totally get what you mean, and it’s a very useful advice!

-Ghybz (https://likeseriouzly.com)