This is a very early writing system that predates the Greek alphabet. There has been extensive studies to understand this pre alphabet in both Crete and Cyprus. Knossos is a very important historical site in Crete where these tablets have been discovered on archeological digs.
On Cyprus lectures are given about its importance about its role as a precursor to the Greek language. These lectures are given in Greek at the university of Nicosia in Cyprus but I was able to find out about it because the lecturer is in fact English. There was a magazine article I read about his work and how he came to learn the Greek language over a period of approximately 30 years. I found it fascinating that there is still much to learn about prehistoric times because the information was either recorded in a language that is now indecipherable to us; or was just passed down verbally as they had no means of remembering things in terms of texts.
Linear B is a written language that is in itself predated by Linear A which hasn’t been decoded yet. Linear B was uncovered by English architect Micheal Ventris. He was a Classist and self taught linguist. His specialty was the Mycenaean era of Greece. He sadly died in a car crash very early on in his life otherwise this new field could be much further forward than it is today.
If you wish to watch and listen to the worlds most expressive Russian check out the above video. It’s a simple story with questions afterwards. There are subtitles to help you out as well as pictures and his actions.
The Problem of Indifference in Relationships
The Problem of Indifference in Relationships
— Read on beyondboundslb.co/2019/05/26/the-problem-of-indifference-in-relationships/
Stoicism is an Ancient Greek ideal that is gaining popularity at the moment. Here is a good explanation of how it relates to modern life.
As we are getting more into the 21st century the need to change our educational style is increasing.
I)What else are we able to do without in order to increase the time available to ourselves for creative interests?
II)Are you scared by how much technology exists in our lives, it’s ability to learn and possibly to go rogue at some point?
III)Are we turning into mindless robots being programmed by exposure to so much media and our subsequent consumption of it?
IV)What does it mean to be human nowadays as we are relying more and more on technology for our every need?
- No longer do we need so many of the facts that were crammed into our heads as children. We now have Google for that.
- For the bibliographic details of our friends we have a phone.
- To find our way from A to B we now have Sat Nav’s.
- Calculators have replaced the need for mental arithmetic
- Email has mostly replaced letter writing.
- Smart watches are replacing our diaries.
- Fit bits are monitoring our health.
- Handsfree devices allow us to talk when we cannot use our phones.
- Hive thermostats can control the heating in our homes.
- Alexa can control your lighting.
- Google assistant can control your music collection.
- Amazon tabs can order your favourite items.
- Siri knows far more about you than anyone else does (as does Facebook).
- E readers are possibly replacing books.
- Netflix are replacing the television stations.
- Air B and B is changing travel accommodation.
- Uber is revolutionizing travel transportation.
- Just Eat is controlling where we get our takeaways from.
- Cars no longer need keys for the ignition.
A post that is a little easier to digest than some of the others that I have posted this week.
Eli writes some good posts on a variety of topics but I don’t think a lot of people get to see them. Therefore I’m doing my bit so that more people learn from her wisdom.
Hope you all had a good week
I love reading these posts about the Ancient Greek literature as you get the real deal. It’s not lost any authenticity due to translation so it’s the closest you can get to being in Ancient Greece itself.
Have you read any works of literature in the original language?
This is another blogger who has some quality posts to read. This is again long but worthy of your attention when you get the time.
I’ve only just come across this blogger but I’m sure there will be many more posts that will interest me in the future.
This is another person that I like to read as they post about intellectual topics that don’t get enough coverage on here. They are often in depth articles do you gotta be in it for the long haul.
None of this tldr bs.
Is there any blogs that you would personally recommend I read?
I have been following this series of posts with relish so I thought it was high time that I actually gave him the attention he deserves and reblogged it for you all to devour. Enjoy